11.03.2016

Being the 'Bad Guy'


It's easy to feel like the "bad guy" today. 

Not only am I the mother of two teens and a 'pre'-teen - a situation which often necessitates starting off statements with words like, "Do not..." or "Let's not..." or the very popular, "No..." - but even more often, when trolling Facebook or reading the news, I find I have an opinion opposite that of 'public' opinion. 
Because I'm opinionated and state my take on the truth of numerous subjects, and Facebook declares subjects only likable if they receive some kind of acknowledgement, I can feel like the "bad guy" many times a day! It can get so frustrating and discouraging that many times a week I feel my mental health would be significantly improved if I deleted my Facebook account and unplugged from the World - like our family has from commercial television.

Fortunately, on the days I poise my finger over the 'delete account' button, I think on Paul's words in 1st Corinthians 1:20 where he says, "Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this world? Hath God not made foolish the wisdom of the world?" What happens when those of us seeking to spread the word of the Lord stop doing that? 

Especially on social media - now the platform of choice for the opinions of this world? What fills that vacuum - that void of truth so small in the face of today's foolishness? 

Make no mistake, the great amount of information shared on social media and even through 'news' outlets, is foolishness, as Paul also says in 1st Corinthians 3:18-19, "Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he might be wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 

How often is the Bible read or studied or discussed today? A FRACTION of that of our country's forefathers, be assured. 


How does one identify wisdom if the Bible isn't studied? How can we be saved from foolishness without the Word of the Lord who objectifies truth? How is that wisdom imparted if it remains unshared? 

Jesus told us (John 18:36-37) "My kingdom is not of this world." He then goes on to say, "Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end I was born, and for this cause came I into this world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice." 

Jesus' voice of truth is recorded in the Bible. How is that truth shared but via a platform? The answer is that it can't be. We must use the mechanisms of this world to transmit the truth to the world, whatever the costs to oursleves and our fragile egos. 

Paul says in Romans 12:2, "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is the good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." 

That sounds like a pretty specific task to me. Lets get out there and take up that task, no matter the cost to ourselves and our egos - after all, a little ego bruise is nothing compared to the sacrifice of our Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. This blog is moderated by the author. Your comment will be reviewed and may or may not be posted by the author.