8.05.2016

Miracles Do Happen - They've Happened To Me!



The other night, our family watched the movie "Miracles From Heaven" with Jennifer Garner. 

The editing and story were excellent and by the time the daughter experiences her miracle, you're either POSITIVE it was a miracle, or a bit more hardhearted and cynical than I think you probably aught to be - even today! 
It got me reviewing the miracles God has been gracious enough to bestow on my life so far - one really large no-getting-around-it-no-other-explanation type - and several others close enough in that same category so I remember every single solitary thing about them including colors and smells! 

One morning back in August of 1984, when I was 21 and my daughter Bryna just 9-months-old, I put her in her high chair while I cleaned the kitchen. 

To keep her occupied, I gave her a vanilla wafer.  Poor B had no hair or teeth until she was almost a full year old and I never knew what to give her to teethe on, but my Aunt assured me vanilla wafers were the thing.

Quickly she grabbed it and began gumming happily away, so I returned to the task of de-greasing my range top. 

I have no idea how long I'd been working, but when I turned around to check on her, I saw a wide-eyed child with a thin line of blue set out starkly from around dusky lips. At that time, I had only a high school education and, unlike many parents today, no basic training in aiding a choking child. 

Time completely stopped.  I couldn't think.  I'd never had such fear in my entire life.  In sheer panic, I ran back and forth from her high chair to the phone to call for an ambulance nearly four times. 

I remember thinking, “I have to call the ambulance”, but then somehow knowing they would never make it in time I'd run back to her high chair, though I had NO earthly idea what to do. 

After what seemed like hours - but must have only been a minute or so - I stopped in mid panic and, standing in the middle of my kitchen, I screamed, “God, please help me. What do I do?” 

As though in a scene from the Matrix, instructions downloaded into my head.

In an instant, I knew.

I yanked B out of her high chair and threw myself into a kitchen chair.  Thrusting her face down between my knees I thumped her between the shoulder blades as hard as I possibly dared and immediately a half-gummed vanilla wafer flew out of her mouth with such force it hit the kitchen wall 2 feet in front of me. 

I jerked the baby up off my lap to study her face just as she took a huge, startled breath, followed by a MAJOR scream! 

For several minutes we both sat there in the kitchen chair just crying and breathing, with me thanking God with every breath. 

How could a person who knew NOTHING about resuscitating a choking child suddenly not only have the directions, but have the presence of mind to USE them on her own choking child? 

Not only that, but I wasn't even a practicing Christian at that time and I had no real relationship with Jesus Christ!
Psalm 116:4-6 (KJV) says;Then called I upon the name of the Lord; O Lord, I beseech thee, deliver my soul.  Gracious is the Lord, and righteous; yea, our God is merciful.  The Lord preserveth the simple: I was brought low and he helped me.
Were there ever more truthful words?

Miracles are true.  Miracles are real.  Miracles happen all around us even when we don't see their effects.  

There are at least FIVE verses I could find in the Bible quickly that refer to seeking and finding the Lord; Jeremiah 29:13, Matthew 7:7, Luke 11:9, John 7:34 and John 7:36.
Jeremiah 29:13 says,And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
I certainly used my whole heart to seek an answer and if I can do it, so can you. That's a promise from our Father, not just me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. This blog is moderated by the author. Your comment will be reviewed and may or may not be posted by the author.