8.09.2016

We Are The "Fragrance" of Christ To Others


I read this morning's devotion with much conviction. First, it was Friday's study that I'd not made time to read Friday and, second, because it reminded me that it's not just the people we meet on the street to whom we are the Bible. Above all, we are the Bible to our family.
I've never been the projection of long suffering in any real capacity - unless the projector was broken! In fact, it was my father once, I think, who uttered the words, "Wow Jennifer you don't suffer fools, do you?"

Often, I'm scarce on time and long on activities and tend to live a real existence within my family more like that of Drill Sergeant, simply barking orders. Often, the bark has some bite to it and later, when the stress has past, I feel guilty I wasn't more kind in my speech.

Sometimes, the one and only thing someone needs in their day is a kind word kindly said. Oftentimes, the 'fragrance' of our words - our tone of voice - is not the perfume of Christ. I fear that's me way too often!

We often forget that it's not just the world for whom our light of Christ must shine. We must light and season our own homes with the glow and fragrance of Christ.

I'm gonna work on that today - a real test of this practice, as it's monthly shopping day with four kids!

Lord God, please let me fragrance my speech with your kindness today and every day. Let me remember that you have called me to minister to those in my own home before, even, those of the outside world. Keep my mind on blessing and not cursing, loving and not frustrating. Help me spread the fragrance of your love to all I meet.
Amen.

2 Corinthians 2:14-17 (NKJV)
14 Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place.

15 For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.

16 To the one we are the aroma of death leading to death, and to the other the aroma of life leading to life. And who is sufficient for these things?

17 For we are not, as so many, peddling the word of God; but as of sincerity, but as from God, we speak in the sight of God in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. This blog is moderated by the author. Your comment will be reviewed and may or may not be posted by the author.