8.23.2016

To Everything A Season

Solomon tells us in Ecclesiastes 3:1 that: 
"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven." 
(The Byrds also told us that, when songs about Jesus used to be commonplace on the radio, but few of us remember that anymore...) 
This year I have 2 children (?!) who will start 9th grade, and one 6th. These are momentous years in the life of a child - and a student - as their success or failure this year can set the tone for future high school/middle school years. 

This year I'm teaching Chemistry and Pre-Algebra at our co-op. It's been 14 years since I left the classroom - and though I've taught and tutored my own kids for the last 5 years, it's something else returning to the responsibility of teaching the child of another. I LOVED teaching when I taught in public school. In fact for several years, I was a single parent with a Master's degree in Biology barely getting by on a part time teacher's salary, yet, I was happy in the job and have many wonderful memories. 

I feel as though it was just yesterday I was spending all my 'extra' time writing and researching about Common Core. The perfection of God's timing is amazing. Had that been now, I could not have even begun to find that kind of time to spend - as it is, with all my responsibilities I see myself coming and going. 

I also remember wondering why more people didn't involve themselves in that fight. Most assuredly and sadly, many people don't care or don't know the things happening in our world today and wouldn't lift a finger to save themselves, let alone the freedom of others. Then there are others who may know the frustrations and concerns brought about by such a changing world, but have all they can handle taking care of their own lives and the lives of their children and family. 

Solomon was right - every human has seasons through which they move in their lives. Not only is it our human job to navigate our own seasons - no matter what they look like - the best we can according to the Word of God, but to be thoughtful and considerate of those in their own seasons of life.
Dear Lord, today, before I take offense the words of another, give me a heart tender to look upon and consider the season of my offender. Give me a heart open enough to understand that most things aren't about me, and misunderstandings occur - in large part - because of perspective, not bad intent. Make me wiser in my judgements about others and more willing and able to see the truth of any circumstance. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. This blog is moderated by the author. Your comment will be reviewed and may or may not be posted by the author.