8.18.2016

Stop Complaining, Start Counting Blessings

Solomon tells us [Ecclesiastes 3:1 (KJV)]

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven". He then goes on to enumerate all the things for which there are seasons.
During some of my hard times people would hope to encourage me by reiterating Solomon's words. Sometimes this was comforting, but other times it felt like a slap in the face - like it was kind of a "pull up your big girl pants and quit whining" kind of a thing.

Guess what? It should always be comforting no matter where we are in life.

Sometimes, when I complain - in my head or aloud - I actually hear myself. I hear how whiny I sound and it's not usually a very character-affirming sound! It's at that point I begin to count my blessings - all the things I DO have that I might NOT have were God not good.

Our oldest daughter Bryna came over yesterday. As we were splashing around in the pool, my youngest, Sam, began to complain that I wouldn't let him have electronic games on his Kindle.

Bryna looked at him and said, "Okay kid, you could live in Syria..."

We all (but Sam!) laughed at her way of letting him know things could always be worse!

When we're in a bind - or just having a bad day - let's recognize the truth of Solomon's words, maybe vent a bit, but always remember that we are where we are for a reason. Let's stop, count our blessings and learn from our experiences! Isn't that really God's basic plan for us all?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. This blog is moderated by the author. Your comment will be reviewed and may or may not be posted by the author.